Sunday, August 26, 2007

Rain Rain

Well last night, the rain won and I only caught one cat. But it was one from one of my colonies that was a visitor and hung out on the edge of the group - only coming up to eat after I had left the area. I had decided to try if I saw him - well as I pulled into the drive of the complex, I spotted him. Called the other ones with their usual Meow - here they come hungry and as usual Tiger (the original Fat Boy) is leading the pack - talking and explaining how I should feed him hourly. LOL

As I set up the trap - the gang of 6 watched with that look of OH NO You're not getting me again. I set the trap on the path he uses and baited with some sardines. Well of course that got everyone's interest - all checked it out even walking a couple of steps in but not getting anywhere near the trip plate. Well, here he comes, checks out the smell - tastes some of the "snackies" I had left as a bread crumb trail. He checked out the entire outside of the trap, then slowly made his way in. He set the trap and was totally unaware he was caught - food was keeping all of his attention. I walked up and he was not HAPPY. Hissing and slapping at me before I could cover the trap. I set him beside the truck in the shade - I could hear him rocking the trap while I fed the others. Transported him to the holding area and checked on him periodically to make sure he was doing ok. All is well - he will be neutered by SNAC (Spay/Neuter Alliance and Clinic in Ridgeland, SC) and released Tuesday evening.

With the storms around Savannah and lots of lightining, there were not many cats willing to be trapped. I was trying for several at 3-4 different locations - the stragglers that are really trap shy.

A couple of the other trappers caught several. So we're definitely going to break the 200 mark this week, which is the half-way point to our goal of 400 ferals spayed and neutered for 2007.

Remember Spaying and Neutering really does save lives.

No comments: